Doctorate's Degrees In Astronomy

Who studies the nature of time or the origin of the universe? Astronomers and physicists do.

Getting An Astronomy Degree

On 25 March 2015 By

A doctorate's degree in astronomy will prepare you for a career as an astronomer and will provide you the opportunity to make a seamless transition from a doctorate's degree in astronomy to another doctoral degree in physics or another related field.

The Study of Astronomy.

Studying Astronomy

Learning About Astronomy

Astronomers and physicists examine the ways in which various forms of matter and energy cooperate. There is no short cut to becoming an astronomer. After obtaining a Ph.D in astronomy or physics, many researchers seeking employment in academia begin in temporary postdoctoral roles. People who only have a bachelor's degree in astronomy typically are not qualified enough to fill research positions.

Astronomy Degree Program

To earn an doctorate's degree in astronomy, you could enroll in either online or campus based classes. The typical courses that may be required to complete this degree could range from The Physical Universe, Cosmology, Stars, Connecting With The Sky, Theoretical Astrophysics, Science And Science Fiction.

Deciding On The Right School

You may find yourself debating on where you want to attend school. There are several institutions that offer Doctorate's degree programs in Astronomy.

A couple of schools offer online degree programs in astronomy are:

  • Michigan State University
  • University of Hawaii

There are also some campus based schools, that offer doctorate's degree programs in Astronomy, such as:

  • The University of Arizona
  • University of Nevada, Las Vegas
  • University of California at Berkeley

Reaching For A Career In Astronomy

Becoming an astronomer takes many years of study and schooling. Growth in federal government spending for physics and astronomy research is expected to be more or less flat, but it should continue to drive the need for physicists and astronomers, especially at colleges, universities, and national laboratories.

Back to top